- Email Address
- Research Interests
- Paper spray mass spectrometry
- Fundamentals and applications of ambient ionization
- Point-of-Care testing using mass spectrometry
Quantitation of therapeutic and illicit drugs in under 60 seconds
- Miniaturization and portability of mass spectrometers
- Quantitative, trace analysis of small molecules from biofluids and environmental samples
- Identification of unknown and contaminant compounds
- Maintenance of advanced analytical instrumentation
- Ph.D. in Analytical Chemistry at Purdue University (2009 - 2014)
- B.A. in ACS Chemistry from Gustavus Adolphus College (2005 - 2009)
- Working Experience
- Medtronic: Senior Analytical Chemist (2014-present)
- Abbott Laboratories: 2012 summer internship in drug discovery lab
Global Pharmaceuticals Research Division
Integrated paper spray technology for pharmacokinetic studies
Wrote SOP's and trained Abbott employees to continue using paper spray device
Performed wet chemistry and method validation with HPLC-MS/MS
- Pre-Grad Research: Zero year at Purdue University with Dr. Paul Shepson
Assembled a gas chromatograph with FID using spare parts
Became expert at using Swagelok
- Undergrad Research: Environmental Chemistry research at Gustavus Adolphus College with Dr. Amanda Nienow
Determined the properties, chemistry, and by-products of agrochemicals in natural environments
Utilized HPLC/UV-Vis and HPLC-MS
- Honors and Awards
- 2014: T.W. Keough Graduate Scholar, Purdue University
- 2013: ACS Division of Analytical Chemistry Graduate Fellowship sponsored by Agilent Technologies
- 2013: Graduate Student Poster Competition Award, Purdue University
- 2011: Jonathon and Ruthanna Amy Travel Award
- 2010: NSF GRFP Honorable Mention
- 2009: Cum Laude graduation honors from Gustavus Adolphus College
- 2009: ACS Undergraduate Environmental Chemistry Award
- 2008: Gover Fund research grant
- Conference Presentations
- 2014: 247th ACS National Meeting & Exposition, Dallas, TX. "Pharmacokinetics using paper: An alternative to LC/MS"
- 2014: Sigma Xi Symposium, Purdue University. "Pharmacokinetics using paper spray mass spectrometry for faster therapeutic drug monitoring and drug development"
- 2013: 9th Annual Algorithm Development for Security Applications (ADSA) series, Boston, MA. “Trace in-situ explosives analysis using a Miniature Mass Spectrometer”
- 2012: The Great SCIentific eXchange (SCIX/FACSS conference), Kansas City, MO. "Paper spray ionization mass spectrometry: So much more than a variant of electrospray."
- 2012: Gustavus Adolphus College Chemistry Seminar, St. Peter, MN. "Ambient mass spectrometry: Rapid analysis of chemicals in their natural environment"
- 2012: 60th ASMS Conference on Mass Spectrometry and Allied Topics, Vancouver, BC. "Spray Mechanism in Paper Spray Ionization Mass Spectrometry"
- 2011: Next Generation Scholars Research Fair, West Lafayette, IN. "Rapid Analysis of Fresh, Whole Blood by Paper Spray Mass Spectrometry for Point-of-Care Therapeutic Drug Monitoring"
- 2011: Turkey Run Analytical Chemistry Conference, Marshall, IN. "Rapid Analysis of Whole Blood by Paper Spray Mass Spectrometry for Point-of-Care Therapeutic Drug Monitoring"
- 2011: 59th ASMS Conference on Mass Spectrometry and Allied Topics, Denver, CO. "Paper Spray Mass Spectrometry as an Ambient, Quantitative method for Point of Care Therapeutic Drug Monitoring from Blood"
- 2009: Celebration of Creative Inquiry, Gustavus Adolphus College. "Vanadium Redox Flow Batteries"
- 2009: Celebration of Creative Inquiry, Gustavus Adolphus College. "Photolytic Degradation of Imazethapyr in the Environment"
- 2009: Sigma Xi Symposium, Gustavus Adolphus College. "Photolytic Degradation of Imazethapyr in the Environment"
- 2008: 236th ACS National Meeting, Philadelphia, PA. "Photolytic Degradation Pathways of Emerging Agrochemicals" Work presented by Dr. Amanda Nienow
- 2008: Fall Research Symposium, Gustavus Adolphus College. "Photolytic Degradation of Imazethapyr in the Environment"
- 2008: Undergraduate Research Symposia in the Physical Sciences, Mathematics, and Computer Science, University of Washington in St. Louis. "Photolytic Degradation of Imazethapyr in the Environment"
- 2008: MRSEC-SURE/YCC Summer Research Poster Session, University of Minnesota. "Photolytic Degradation of Imazethapyr in the Environment"
- R.D. Espy, M. Wleklinski, X. Yan, R.G. Cooks, "Beyond the flask: Reactions on the fly in ambient mass spectrometry." TrAC, Trends in Analytical Chemistry, 2014, 57, 135-146. DOI: 10.1016/j.trac.2014.02.008
- R.D. Espy, A.R. Muliadi, Z. Ouyang, R.G. Cooks, “Spray mechanism in paper spray ionization.” International Journal of Mass Spectrometry, 2012, 325-327, 167-171.DOI: 10.1016/j.ijms.2012.06.017
- R.D. Espy, N.E. Manicke, Z. Ouyang, R.G. Cooks, “Rapid analysis of whole blood by paper spray mass spectrometry for point-of-care therapeutic drug monitoring.” Analyst, 2012, 137, 2344-2349.DOI: 10.1039/c2an35082c
- R.D. Espy, A. Badu-Tawiah, R.G. Cooks, "Analysis and modification of surfaces using molecular ions in the ambient environment.” Current Opinions in Chemical Biology, 2011, 15, 741-747. DOI: 10.1016/j.cbpa.2011.06.006
- Full name
- Ryan D. Espy
- Member for
- 5 years 19 weeks